Black and White: A Modern Spin - Nursery Design
Make your baby’s nursery a snapshot of modern design! With Lullaby Paints’ award-winning paints, you can design a beautiful room that will be the envy of all. A black and white room with patterns of shapes (like stars, hearts, etc.) is perfect for both boys and girls. This can be ideal for parents who want to wait to find out the sex of their unborn baby.
Want to know another benefit of choosing black and white? It helps with brain development. It's true! At birth, your baby can only see black and white and shades of gray. It takes several months for your baby's vision to develop to the point where she can see color. So, during the first few months, the best way to help develop the part of the brain that processes vision is by showing your baby black and white patterns. Consider the impact a black and white nursery would have! Here's what Dr. Sears has to say:
The best way you as a parent can stimulate baby’s vision is using black and white stripes or light and dark contrasting colors. So what about those nice soft pastels that used to be so popular in baby toys and nurseries? While these may look pretty to you, they do nothing visually for your baby. Research has proven that black and white contrasts register powerfully on baby’s retina and send the strongest visual signals to baby’s brain. Stronger signals mean more brain growth and faster visual development. Surround a baby with soft pastel colors, and you might as well be blindfolding him. Surround your baby with black and white or light and dark pictures, and watch your baby’s eyes light up.
Tips for a Black and White Nursery
- When creating and mixing patterns in your black and white nursery, it is important to be aware of the scale of the shapes. Varying the shapes will allow the naked eye to move around naturally throughout the room. If all the shapes are the same or too similar, then the designs will attract too much attention. The goal is to create a visual that is not too intimidating or eye catching so that people are able to move their gaze throughout the room without getting stuck on a certain design.
- The design experts at Botanical Deer recommend adding pops of color. "A pop of color is an awesome idea for black and white interiors. It will add the needed depth and make the place livelier, more colorful, and inviting."
- Sarah, from Just the Bees Knees has three helpful tips, as well.
- Mix with warm wood tones. The white pieces of furniture above come alive and feel much softer with warm wood accents. Adding in a few natural wood decor pieces, such as the woodland mobile or the dimensional wood letters really help to warm up the space as well.
- Add Texture with natural elements. A natural Jute rug or a black and white cowhide really add texture and softness to the space. Woven baskets or light fixtures are also great options to break up a strong black and white palette.
- Accent with warm metals. Gold and brass accents are all the rage right now and compliment the black and white theme so well! They add warmth as well as a touch of glamour to the space.
If stark white walls seem too sterile for you, try a very pale shade of gray. Here's a design featuring Lullaby Paints in Frosted Veil:
Learn more about the products in this nursery and find more items that go with this concept by clicking here.
Another benefit of this black and white design scheme is that it won’t be difficult to find things for your baby’s nursery. From the crib to a diaper pail, you are sure to find them in black or white to match the theme of the nursery.
At Lullaby Paints, our highly rated paints have superior coverage and are perfect for painting your new nursery. Our certified paints are both customer preferred and consumer approved.
To learn more about Lullaby Paints and the world’s best paints, please contact us by calling toll free at (866) 587-3586. We would also love to hear any of your questions or design ideas, just click here and share.