Eco-Friendly Cribs for Every Budget
Your new baby will sleep anywhere from 16 to 18 hours a day and regardless if all those zzzz’s happen in the crib, you still want your baby’s bed to be a super-safe slumber zone. Many conventional cribs are made using particleboard or other composite woods that are little bits of wood stuck together using glues and resins that typically contain formaldehyde - a known carcinogen. While changing regulations have brought the levels down over the past few years, many cribs still pose unacceptable risks (in our humble opinion).
Here are 8 options for eco-friendly, safer cribs no matter what your budget may be.
1. Ikea Sundvik ($119) IKEA’s fiberboard still has some formaldehyde present, but it is extremely low and their products actually surpass the strongest regulations of the material in the world. They’re striving to have emission levels in IKEA wood products be equal to the levels of natural wood.
2. DaVinci Emily 4-in-1 ($209) The Emily 4-in-1 Crib features four adjustable mattress positions that allow you to change the height as your child grows. Emily easily converts to a toddler bed (rail included), daybed, and full-size bed (conversion kit available separately), and comes in six rich finishes to match your nursery. Safety being key, the Emily Crib is made of solid New Zealand pine wood and finished with non-toxic paint that is lead and phthalate safe.
3. giggle Better Basics Harper ($590) Perfect for parents on a budget, the Harper was manufactured by Troll Nursery and designed with amazing value and long-term durability in mind. It's made from a combo of solid birch and birch plywood, can be converted into a toddler bed (with the purchase of our optional conversion kit), and is eco-responsible, containing non-toxic and low-VOC finishes.
4. Spot on Square Eicho ($690) The Eicho crib has an iconic, minimalistic look, featuring clean lined openings on side and end panels. Made with eco-friendly, green grade MDF comprised of 100%recycled/reclaimed wood, and offered in a bright white non-toxic finish. The crib has three adjustable positions for the mattress platform allowing you to adjust the height to grow with your baby. Toddler daybed conversion available.
5. oeuf Sparrow ($760) Another option that converts to a toddler bed with the purchase of a conversion kit, the Sparrow is sustainably produced in Europe in an FSC certified facility. It’s made of solid birch and Baltic birch plywood with non toxic, water-based finishes.
6. Stokke Sleepi ($800-1000) The Stokke Sleepi crib’s distinctive narrow oval shape creates a nest-like environment that is soft and safe, cozy, and curvaceous. With the ability to grow with your child, Stokke Sleepi expands to accommodate the changing needs – and sizes – of childhood and the wheels mean that as you move around the house your baby can follow you. Please note: You must purchase a mattress, this is an additional charge not included in the price of the crib.
7. Spot on Square Roh ($1790) The Roh gives your baby a true room with a view! The use of a durable half-inch, BPA free, phthalate free, 100% recyclable, clear acrylic that is framed by locally sourced Walnut creates a truly stunning and innovative design for the modern nursery. This premium collection by Spot On Square raises the bar with innovation of design and material for the nursery.
8. The Oops ($2400) The Oops crib offers never before seen style and beauty to childrens furniture. So good looking it’ll make you want to have kids. Sturdy, child-safe sides are built from bamboo. Comfortingly solid ends make a visual statement. This piece will last multiple generations -intended or not. Shown here with a signature "Drop" detail comprised of variegated strips of reclaimed woods.
Coming soon: Bellini baby cribs made withs Lullaby Paint finishes!
Want to learn more about creating a safe nursery for your baby? Download Healthy Child Healthy World’s free e-book “Easy Steps for a Healthy & Safe Nursery”.