What Makes A Suitable Paint For Your Interior?
If you are looking to improve the aesthetic appeal of your house, then painting it is undoubtedly the solution. The dilemma for you is likely to be the best paint to go for. The first thing that you should put into consideration is that you must go for non toxic paint.
Why is it essential to go for non toxic paint?Non toxic paint is generally free of Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC) which are harmful to your health and also that of your family. The concentrations of VOC in your house can be up to 10 times higher compared to the outside if you choose to use just any other paint for your walls according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
The U.S. National Library of Medicine pointed out that skin contact and inhalation are the main ways through which an individual can be exposed to VOC. The health effects from VOC exposure can range from fatigue, headaches, loss of coordination, and memory loss in the short term. Long term exposure can result in life-threatening health complications like damage of the liver, central nervous system, and liver, and also cancer.
The health effects from VOC exposure are more pronounced in children and pregnant women. It's due to the health risks mentioned above that it's wise for you to go for non toxic paint for your walls.
Characteristics of good non toxic paintIf you are planning to repaint your house, it might be quite challenging to identify which paint is right for you. Here are some characteristics of non toxic paint that you should be on the lookout for:
1. All ingredients are clearly labeledAs you shop for the paint to use on your walls, you should be keen only to pick paints that have all their ingredients clearly labeled. This will allow you to know if the paint has VOC in it or any other harmful substances. It's best to use low VOC paint on your walls or one that has none of it altogether.
2. Friendly to the environmentWhen deciding which paint to use on your wall, consider settling for options that are friendly to the environment. Eco friendly paint does not contain harmful ingredients and recyclable packaging. Using eco friendly paint means that you will be contributing to the well-being of the planet as a whole, and this is a good thing.
3. OdorlessA good non toxic paint for walls is an odorless one. You probably have come across paints which make a house impossible to stay in after painting due to its pungent chemical odor. In such a case, you may have to look for alternative accommodation until the smell subsides. This will not be the case for you if you choose odorless paint. You can paint your walls and keep staying in your house with no problems.
4. Be allergy-friendlyA recent study conducted by Cornell University's Survey Research Institute revealed that up to 83% of travelers would opt for an allergy-friendly room whenever possible. If you are planning to host visitors to your home through services like Airbnb, going for allergy-friendly paint is a good option.
Some paints do contain latex, and if you have a person who is allergic to latex in your home, this may bring about health complications. You can opt for low VOC paint that is latex free to make sure that everyone who stays at your house is safe.
5. Make it beautifulEven as you go for non toxic paint for walls, remember to make it beautiful. You must find a paint company that meets all of the characteristics and has an unlimited portfolio of colors. You can ask for some free sample to make sure that the paint that you settle for goes well with the theme of your house.
Using eco friendly paint from one manufacturer ensures exceptional coverage and consistency. Now that you know how to identify excellent non toxic paint for walls, why don't you try them?