5 Ways Paint Can Make a Small Room Look Larger
Want your home to have a little extra square footage, but building an addition is beyond your budget (or control)? We have a solution! Create the illusion of space with just a little bit of paint. Here are 5 ways paint can make a small room look larger. It’s easy, inexpensive, and delivers awesome results!
1. Choose light paint colors. Creams and shades of white reflect light making a room brighter, which also makes it appear larger. If whites and creams are too blah for your taste, choose one wall for a splash of light color.
2. Use cool hues. Our brains perceive colors differently. Warm colors, like red, orange, and yellow, tend to draw in a space and make it feel smaller. Alternatively, cool colors like blue, green, and violet, tend to recede or move away and make the space seem more open. (If you have your heart set on a warm color, choose a tint that’s dampened with some cool tones and is very washed out. ECOS Paints in Yellow Tail is a good example of a cooler yellow.)
3. Create an optical illusion with stripes. Use vertical and horizontal stripes separately to make a room look bigger. If your room is narrow, paint horizontal stripes on the walls to make it look wider. Similarly, if you have a low ceiling, try vertical stripes on the walls to make the ceiling seem higher.
4. Paint trim and moldings lighter than the walls. When moldings and trim are lighter than the walls, the walls look as if they’re further back. Once again making your room appear bigger.
5. Keep things monochromatic. Use one color scheme, in different shades and textures, on the furniture, flooring, and walls to keep things “clean,” which also creates the illusion of space.
Do you have a trick for making a small space appear larger? Share it in the comments for others to learn from!
Ready to tackle your own painting project to make your small space appear larger? Order ECOS Paints free color cards to see what colors will work best in your home.
A small room doesn't have to equal small style. Here are some fun ways to add visual interest to any room in your home..
#1 Experiment with an accent wall8 Eye-Catching and Easy Accent Wall Ideas for specifics and how-tos.
#2 Have fun with interior doors
#3 Switch up that ceiling
#4 Trim it down
#5 Become a stair master
#6 Stencil in your stylestep-by-step from Houzz.com shows you the ins and outs of how to recreate it.
#7 Fire up the mantel
Feeling inspired? Enter to win a $200 gift card for ECOS Paints, so you can get started on adding pops of color to your home!
UPDATE: Congratulations to our lucky winner, Christina! Thank you all for participating -- watch our blog for December's giveaway launching soon!
Let us know in the comments below what your favorite idea is for a pop of color.
OPTIONAL ADDITIONAL ENTRIES:
- Sign up for the ECOS Newsletter
Like ECOS Paints on Facebook
Follow ECOS Paints on Pinterest
Follow ECOS Paints on Houzz
Follow ECOS Paints on Twitter
Follow ECOS Paints on Google+
One random winner will be selected on November 30, 2016!
Good luck!!!No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited. Participants must be 18 years of age or older and must be U.S. residents. Click through for full sweepstakes rules.